Saturday, August 17, 2013

"Distance Covered............."

Friday was the third attempt to “find the flow”, a schedule, of sorts, slowly emerging in spite of the fact that Special-Ed always means “patching-it-together-as-you-go”. You turn to take a student to class only to discover he has removed his shoes and socks once again. It’s time for Art, but the artist has presented a need to visit the restroom. This job could well be called “Dancing with the Stars”. Whatever its name, though, it has its moments, its perks as well as its pricks, some of that first category coming from outside our four walls. Arriving there yesterday while several buses were still unloading, I stepped into the river of kids passing through the front entrance only to experience a tug on my trousers and, looking down, saw this angelic face smiling up at me. It was Looby, my little Ukrainian First-Grader friend discovered while visiting the nurse’s station last year! A few simple words spoken to her in Russian had opened a door, the two of us merely bumping into each other from that point on, but a “bond” created and now, reaching to hug the lower part of my extremity, with eyes closed, she expressed her love. Now that can give anyone a boost, all other mental concerns just disappearing as your heart melts. Maybe this won’t be my last stroll through the educational system. It stayed with me as the day progressed, still there while loading our crew for their return home in the afternoon, and then dwindled a bit when I walked into our living room to find Beth in the middle of “Spring Cleaning”. In late August? The sofa was gone, taken to be reupholstered, all the pictures and the knick-knack shelf above it had been removed, and clearly the evening would involve work, at least to some degree. The son-in-law had been drafted to paint. My part in the affair merely came to running some errands, relocating some other furniture this morning, and re-hanging the overhead light a necessary part of the shift. All in all, serenity survived. Driving out to Kroger’s at ten last night, my mind was on Him, the Holy Ghost with me in the journey. Life is good. God is great……

3 comments:

  1. That is a funny coincidence about the renos.

    "Spring cleaning" is actually one of the ways I prep myself for the year ahead. It's also a kind of mental "cleaning out" as I sort and wash and renew. Often I find things that I set aside to use at work. So far, all I've found are some dust bunnies and a big ole pain in my neck.

    How sweet about that little one; bond cemented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking inventory of ourselves is always good, no matter what season we are in; and you have me relating "dust bunnies" to dreams, promises, and blessings, all stored in an inner corner and, for the most part, forgotten......

      Delete
  2. Well said, Jim. I'll never look at dust bunnies quite the same way.

    ReplyDelete