Saturday, August 10, 2013

"Security....................."

My pre-school class schedule found me in a gymnasium Friday morning, seated in the bleachers with a multitude of others, about to hear but one more presentation on safety. Before us, in the middle of the floor, a huge screen containing a question about surviving this year without being killed served notice that the next two hours concerned more than simply avoiding mishaps, legal headaches, and the general welfare of all involved. We were the first, here in northern Kentucky, to be introduced to a new program educating staff as to what to do should ever their work space be threatened by an armed invader. It wasn’t rocket science. Most of the agenda simply pointed to being prepared, having a better plan for escape, and acting to reduce casualties, due to the fact that, other than fire drill, nearly all other emergency reaction has us programmed to merely seek cover under a table, or gather together in some closed space away from windows. Just how much that latter point possesses our thinking really “hit home” when we were informed that the library at Columbine actually had a rear exit door through which some kids escaped. In a sense, the loss of life in that room was due, at least somewhat, to students listening to teacher in panic, directing them to do what practice demanded… Back in the Viet Nam era, the Army Language School had assembled us in their movie theater for a lecture given by an officer of some rank, his main topic lost to me now, but one of his comments and my response, however, yet quite clear, my opinion indeed still the same. He spoke of being in the heat of battle and knowing that you were there for the love of country, ready to die for the folks at home. I was young and, when he acknowledged my raised hand, informed him that, with live ammunition flying over my head, my only thoughts would be on saving my rear end!... Call it what you want, but surely there’s a place where rubber meets the road, a time when decision is vital and the choice is whether to follow what the system has told you, or to listen to your own reasoning in the matter. Actually, I, myself, have come to a third fork in the road, an inner tug on the anchor-line, a witness from that One who stepped into my existence so long ago, His counsel always the best option. In Him I trust, regardless the need. He has not failed me yet…..

No comments:

Post a Comment