Friday, June 13, 2014

"Solitude.................."

“All of us know how cold it is outside. It’s almost unbearable out there, especially when we’re there alone, isolated, lonely. You were never meant to be................. alone.”…………… Erwin Raphael McManus, “Soul Cravings”

The above author doesn’t hold my interest for the most part, his output not so much concerned with an examination of “the deep things” of one’s faith, his style seemingly more a Joel Osteen approach where the Gospel is set aside while encouragement serves as the main dish. Nonetheless, within my read, I keep encountering across little tidbits like the above that give me pause, the truth therein causing me to stop and savor the bite just taken. “Gregarious” is not a word anyone would use to describe me. “Social” is not me in any setting where “mingling” is involved. My idea of a good way to amuse myself is me, a book, and some quiet spot away from the rest of the world, the book being optional. A long walk in the woods or driving alone in my car to reach such a location is peace to my soul. At the beach, while everyone else is enjoying the sun and surf, give this old man the view from the fifth floor balcony and he’ll wait to walk the shoreline in the evening, the moon’s glow rippled across the incoming waves. Yet, in spite of all the indications of my being a religious recluse, a hermit who avoids all interaction with humanity, people hold my heart. Beyond family and friends, strangers with no attachment at all to my identity have meaning, significance, worth that, should circumstances so ask, my own needs would be set aside, their life connected somehow to mine in a way that I don’t understand. Wisdom, of course, is part of such statement, His voice hopefully directing my path; but it seems to me that, within our original blueprint, God included “spiritual programing” designed after His own passion. We war; we kill; we abuse and misuse each other. Who is it, though, that would want to find himself in a room where, one by one, the walls began to fall away, the ceiling gone and the floor finally dropping as well, infinity in all directions and just “you” the only “living” thing left? Eternal flames? Sometimes I wonder…..

No comments:

Post a Comment