Monday, October 15, 2012

"Literacy.........................."

“We do not find our own center; it finds us. We do not think ourselves into new ways of living; we live ourselves into new ways of thinking; and the great and merciful surprise is that we come to God, not by doing it right, but by doing it wrong. You don’t need to push the river if you are in it!” …Richard Rohr, “Everything Belongs”

My interest in books, for whatever reason, didn’t really find substance until I came to Christ at the age of thirty. Even then it would take awhile for me to “branch out”, old-time holiness admonishing all that anything other than your Bible was taboo. In my senior year of high-school, a paperback copy of “Peyton Place” somehow came into my possession, but, halfway through the story, the fact that a woman had written such trash disgusted me and it was tossed aside. During those first few years in the Navy, Leon Uris, with novels like “Battle Cry” and “Topaz”, provided entertainment for a young sailor with little funds for anything otherwise; and “The World of Susie Wong” had me romantically attached, so much that when she stabs someone with a pair of scissors in the final chapter, in anger I threw it across the barracks and waited for the movie to discover how the story ended. Indeed, fiction, for the most part, has not been pursued since. My intake nowadays has evolved into a strange mixture of various authors, most of them dealing with Christianity, none of them this modern celebrity bunch who have the Gospel reduced to a formula, their message expounding the idea that we, ourselves, are conquerors over all things, health and prosperity ours to command. The above words speak to me, it relating to this walk as I have found it to be. If some question the one line about how we approach the Creator, my history shows a record wherein, although this old man has always attempted to “get it all together”, the results have always been a matter of His grace covering my humanity. Furthermore, I love the last thought, believing it always better practice to relax and allow the flow to come forth than to beat the water in hopes of creating your own manifestation……

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I like that quote, too. I don't usually read books more than once but that one I have. Actually, Hope most graciously sent me that book so it's even more special to me!

    There was a time when I would read tons but in the last 8 or 9 years most fiction just doesn't appeal. Usually too predictable which I find annoying. Have you read Son of Laughter by Fred Buechner yet?

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read that one by Buechner and I thought I had all of his. Will check it out, Mich....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard Rohr has been one of the most influential authors in my journey the past decade. My vision of God has grown so much bigger because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read the one book by him,disagreed with him in a few things, but found it a great read, much truth there to be found in his words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the quote at the beginning and your post that follows, Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was talking today with my friend at school about Rohr. The post I put up this morning relates my experience with his writing, a good read, but goes a bit out into left field eventually, in my opinion....

    ReplyDelete