Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"Infinity, and Beyond........"

While shopping in Sam’s this summer, I discovered a C.S. Lewis hardback trilogy containing three of the author’s attempts at science fiction. Two volumes were purchased, one for me and one for Steven, my grandson in Lexington. He graduated in June, his baseball skills earning him a “full ride” at a local college not too far from home, his academic smarts marking him, as well, a fellow with a bright future in front of him. The Bible has held a place in his life from the beginning. The two of us, however, have found common ground, not so much in the theological depths of Christianity, exploring the meaning of chapter and verse, but in the mystery of it all, the possibility of what lies beyond our ability to grasp. If some are content with “faith in a box”, to each their own; but this old man believes in a story unable to be captured, a truth that is rooted in Scripture, yet bigger than any dogma we utilize to contain it. I am not afraid to fathom the universe. My trust is in His anchor-line. It didn’t bother me at all, therefore, to recently receive a copy of Steven’s literary attempt to re-write the Genesis account of God giving birth to our existence. To read of the Creator having the archangel Michael swing his sword through thin air in the middle of the throne room, causing a rent to be formed, an opening of a veil that separated all of heaven from what appeared to be an abysmal “nothing”, did not give me thoughts of “blasphemy!” To next be informed of Lucifer being commanded to enter the void, the brightness found in him expelled at the divine utterance of “Let there be light!” only made me smile. Who, after all, can actually dispute such scenario didn’t occur in like manner? Lewis’ imaginary adventure concerning a visit to Mars may well be considered nonsense with what we now know about the planet, a robotic camera documenting the facts, but in the early 1900s it was “going where no man had gone before”; and just because NASA has cleared up some details doesn’t mean we have solved the enigma of all that’s out there. Christ “in” me was never intended to become a religious diploma certifying our degree of having conquered grace as extended to us via Calvary. This is a journey, not a denominational cave where we gather to escape the world……

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I think it's great that your grandson writes like this! How wonderful that you guys share this interest.

    I love that C.S. Lewis trilogy. Fun, weird and an interesting perspective all at the same time. There were parts that creeped me out but what fun.

    That reminds me of a G. K. Chesterton book called The Man Who Was Thursday. That one really creeped me out for some reason. At times, I almost felt like averting my eyes like I was watching a scary movie.

    Congrats to your grandson on the scholarship! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six chapters into the second story, page 62, I read this morning the author's description of being in (His) presence: "At first it was almost intolerable. There seemed no room, but only at certain moments in which a man asserts his independence; (and) when you felt like that, then the very air seemed too crowded to breathe, a complete fullness seemed to be excluding you from a place which, nevertheless, you were unable to leave. But when you gave in to the thing, gave yourself up to it, there was no burden to be borne. It became not a load, but a medium, a sort of splendor as of eatable, drinkable, breatheable gold which fed and carried you and not only poured into you, but out from you as well. Taken the wrong way, it suffocated; taken the right way, it made terrestrial life, by comparison, a vacuum."

      Wow!....

      I own that Chesterton "double dose" of which I posted, but will have to check out this one that you mention....

      Delete
  2. Wow is right! I love the way C. S. describes stuff. I also love his comparisons for concepts that are hard to fathom such as the Trinity.

    Makin' me feel like picking up those books once again... <:-)

    ReplyDelete