Monday, July 29, 2013

"Survival.................."

This is my last full week of Summer Break, school not starting until the fourteenth of August, but a lot of one to three hour classes are scheduled between here and there that will eliminate any sense of having nothing on my plate for any extended portion of time. I return with mixed emotions, working with these kids yet part of my heart, dealing with the job, itself, as it has changed in the last decade or so another matter. Then, again, the same could be said in so far as my relationship with the church. It might well be that age has something to do with it, more than just my body revealing the change that comes to all of us. My spirit stays refreshed in Him; my heart knows the fullness of Christ “in” me; and my mind is continually exploring the depths of that relationship. My soul, however, seems tired, the world around me changed in so many ways, life still precious, but the journey involving too much red tape, something humanity calls “progress”. People no longer talk to people. Everything is hooked up to a computer, “Press one if you want this, two if you need that”, the list so long that by the time it has run its course, you’ve already forgotten why you were calling in the first place. Insurance that, by the time they’ve finished explaining what they will or will not cover, you wonder who it was that you bought the policy to protect. Government has taken this country to the verge of self-destruction, those principles upon which it was founded now being questioned and, to some extent, ignored. I realize, of course, that humanity has always been humanity and “I are one”. I know that such condition explains much concerning the present state of our nation, the nature of Pentecost as it now exists, and the gray mood this old man often occupies. His well, though, remains. His grace renews. Here and there along the way connection is verified by an overflow, a tug on the anchor-line. In the midst of the storm, He is with me in the next step……

6 comments:

  1. Funny, the thought came to me this morning to forego the computer and sit at the dining room table and write. Hmmmm...

    The other day, I was saying to my daughter how back ye olden days, several generations of a family often lived together. Now, we all need our little secluded cubicles. We're bombarded with messages about how our lives "should" be. And social media thrives because everybody is so horribly lonely.

    Funny world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was sitting here earlier when you posted this, but was deep into another entry and then interrupt by Beth with a request to go to breakfast... Nothing wrong with a "secluded cubicle" in my book, just as long as I doesn't become a cave from which you don't retreat. Your final thoughts, though, speak volumes and I would, indeed, like to what you might bring forth on that subject. I'm betting you write every bit as well as you draw....

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about alone time; I quite like it myself.

    Occasionally, I peek in on Facebook through one of my sisters' accounts and I'm left with the impression that there are a whole lot of people out there with a desperate need to be seen and heard. On the surface, it looks like everyone is a social butterfly going from event to event but oddly, I'm left with the feeling that once the noise stops, they're all pretty lonely.

    Maybe I'm just projecting and everybody's really as happy as clams. Lately, I've been trying to organize all the family photos I can get my hands on (insane, I know) and I'm feeling seriously nostalgic. As much as I coveted alone time then, growing up with four sisters and passel of cousins was actually fun. The whole neighbourhood played on the front street. Now I seldom see a soul out there; we're all too busy trying to be "successful." There is a season, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Facebook is the new front street....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play "Words with Friends" with a few others on Face Book, but otherwise fail to relate to all the chatter others bring forth there.....

      Delete
  4. Don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Facebook; who knows, I may even sign up eventually. It is good to stay connected and heaven knows my temptation is to stay holed-up in my cave given the chance.

    ReplyDelete