Thursday, July 3, 2014

"Melody................"

Mark Twain's wife began to use profanity to address him for several minutes. The author took it all in, then simply informed her “My dear, you have all the words, but you lack the music” - Somehow I find this at least somewhat reflective of many within the Church….

Our family vacation eliminated my participation in my group’s scheduled visit to the Detention Center. It was the first time that (if my memory doesn’t fail me) I’ve missed such occasion in over thirteen years. This coming Sunday, however, is a standing invitation from a buddy who also has his own slot on the calendar and my mind is searching for the Spirit’s voice, juggling all that life brings to me on a daily basis, gathering “eggs in basket” in hopes that He’ll make an omelet out of it all when we get there. In last night’s Bible study we explored that sort of scenario, the idea of this being a journey wherein we, as believers, are no more than earthen vessels for a Personality, a Power who indwells us and goes with us in our humanity, a Priest who accepts us in our humility if we are but willing to surrender the truth of our identity and admit our need of Him. Our teacher has great patience. The class encourages open discussion and he handles such input well, no doubt this old man often misunderstood. I try to wait for a Holy Ghost “nudge”, wanting to “know the flow” in any offering, but remain a man in such efforts, fallible in my knowledge of God, the voice of God, and my obedience in the next step. This “stumble”, though, rather than some “sanctified” state achieved out of our own strength, is exactly what Pentecost needs to reexamine, what those kids, what our kids and our converts, indeed our congregations as a whole, need to hear. Grace is balanced by His rod and His staff. Victory is an “umbilical cord anchor-line” feeding my soul….

No comments:

Post a Comment