Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"Sidenote............................."

“And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man”…. Ecclesiastes 12:12-13

In the verses above, Solomon seems to have arrived at the same place I find myself after more than forty years of digesting the printed page. The “wisest man in the world”, whatever his relationship with the Creator, though, was at a disadvantage, not knowing yet that which Christ brings to us in an inner reconnection via the Holy Ghost. Such difference doesn’t change the opinion stated here concerning the infinitesimal amount of literature out there for one to explore. Forget fiction. Pick any genre you wish; then choose whose opinion, perspective, and style feeds your own thinking. If you go to Barnes and Noble’s website, click on “religion” and then, once more, filtering out all but Christianity, your computer feeds you 4,443 possibilities. If “theology” is your interest, one’s individual faith is dismissed and the count jumps to nearly 8,000 bound (but not necessarily sound) reasons for a belief in almost anything. Perhaps such abundance of “rabbit trails” is why we were encouraged years ago in old-time holiness to read nothing but our Bible. I certainly don’t regret following such advice for nearly a decade. Somewhere along the way, however, it became clear to me that humanity is humanity, regardless whether we’re all on the same page or not. A.W. Tozer wrote that “The only book that should ever be written is one that flows up from the heart, forced out by inward pressure.” To me, that’s right on. It should also be noted, however, that such rule of authenticity should also apply to the other side of the coin. Anyone who dives into this literary ocean needs “oxygen” other than that he’s taking in through his lungs. For that matter, it’s just as true that one can take in “polluted water” from the pulpit in one’s own church. What being “born-again” brought to me was an inner well, an oasis to which I might run with all my confusion, the connection somewhat like a “hook in my belly”, an anchor-line securing me in my stumble down the path. The real danger here, after all, is not the other guy, but me, me and my vanity, me and my pride. Now there’s wisdom that maybe even Solomon could have benefited from……

No comments:

Post a Comment