Saturday, January 28, 2012

"Leadership........................."

By the time the primary election process arrives in Kentucky, the field has almost always been reduced to one individual and all that we get to do is throw the switch. Why, then, do I watch the debates? Well; to tell the truth, I really don’t comprehend everything the candidates discuss, the issues, the solutions to them that they propose. Oh; I know what "unemployment" means, every bit as much as “national debt” and “bail out”. The mechanics, however, of why a “flat tax” would work better than what the other guy suggests is not within my ability to grasp. It sounds good; but so does “no child left behind” unless you’ve worked within the school system long enough to see the damage it has done. Likewise, hearing one of these Presidential hopefuls refer to the “Dodd-Frank Bill” in explaining his view, just leaves me with a need to go to Google for better clarity on the matter. I don’t come home everyday to an update on everything that takes place in Congress. It is, in my opinion, one of the glitches in the system. Lobbyists, the unions, and people with money to hire lawyers – they keep up with it all. The rest of us hold down a job or, in this economy, are looking for one, and will go to the polls voting for whomever more out of our individual mind-sets than anything else: our party preference, a man’s charisma, the image put forth by biased media, religious beliefs, etc. Personally, I plead guilty to looking for what’s on the inside of the fellow before me, his integrity, his character, who he is now, not so much the mistakes he’s made if he’s willing to look me in the face with them. His Christian faith is a plus, as far as I’m concerned, but not if it’s used as a political ploy. It annoys me when any two or more take up time in these televised contests, quibbling with each other over things that have nothing to do with the problems in this country. It warmed my heart to hear another speak of it being God, not the government, who endows us with “unalienable rights”. Indeed, it is in Him, and in Him alone, that I find peace about the state of things today, believing that, regardless of who sits in the Oval Office, He sits on high with all things in His hands……

No comments:

Post a Comment