Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Transendence..............................".

Tomorrow’s dental appointment and a salute this coming Monday to Martin Luther King will give me three consecutive four-day work-weeks as an entrance into 2012. Every Wednesday is something I await with a bit of enthusiasm, either the Bible study class or the monthly visit to the rescue mission occupying that repetitive spot on the calendar. This Friday is another of the grandsons’ basketball games. Spring Break is right around the corner! It recently occurred to me, however, deep in thought while driving to school, how easy it is to “lose the moment” by merely walking in the mundane routine of our existence, looking only to the future toward some event we think will give us rest or bring us excitement. I think God understands that it’s just who we are. I’m not so sure, though, that He approves of such practice. The Detention Center and the rescue mission may well be worthy causes, ones wherein hopefully my zeal is more about being a vessel for His outreach than it is about occupying a pulpit with my ego; but, likewise, working in Elementary Special-Ed is a privilege and must never be allowed to become nothing but a paycheck. Going through the motions, dealing with life as it comes to me, has to be or I fall into the rut and miss most of His resurrection as it takes place around me. It’s like being in your automobile and suddenly realizing where you are, the last twenty-five miles or so a blur you don’t remember passing through……

No comments:

Post a Comment