Friday, June 21, 2013

"An Empty Tomb................."

Jamie, my daughter who lives in Lexington and is a manager in training at Frisch’s, had a work meeting scheduled Thursday afternoon at the main office in Cincinnati and arrived early enough to meet us at Bob Evans for breakfast. A friend of hers had hitched a ride, he about to begin their training program and in this area for the next six weeks. Conversation, after introductions, went well, Beth and I laughing at the way he ordered his food, asking the waitress to simply bring him whatever she liked best on the menu. His manner, though, was pleasant. Mostly, while we waited for our food, he inquired of us concerning different areas of our life: what we enjoyed doing together, where we vacationed, etc. When I mentioned my ministry visits to the Youth Detention Center and the rescue mission, however, he wondered what drew me to such opposite ends of the spectrum; and, as I began to explain, the anointing began to flow, giving witness to a passion for both places. This was not a loud, imposition wherein I demanded his attention. The two of us had connected in the Holy Ghost, his eyes giving evidence of feeding on my words, knowing within the touch of His presence in that moment. Nonetheless, just in case my own sense of things was in error, an apology was offered afterwards. “No,” he replied; “Your lips were quivering as you spoke and that was coming up from deep inside you. I only hope to know such compassion in me for outreach somewhere down the road.” There was no knowledge given me of circumstances in his life regarding his wife, his father, a commitment to Christ at the age of thirteen, things that my daughter would tell me later over the phone. This was no “target” seated before me and there was no intent to sermonize him. God just stepped into our midst, sowing a seed into that young man’s spirit. This is what “resurrection” is all about……

3 comments:

  1. This made me teary, my friend. Such a beautiful confirmation in your meeting that the Spirit still moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I write something like this, I am concerned about how much it sounds like vanity, not wanting to put it in terms of anything accomplished other than what the Spirit does through me; and, even then, as I told the young man, believers need to know one needs no degree in Bible to be used of Him. I need to note at the same time, however, there is a great need for the believer to recognize it is a matter of the Holy Ghost, alive in us, not simply ignorant arrogance in trying to make something happen. You learn as you go, God teaching you as He uses you...

      Delete
  2. How true "You learn as you go, God teaching you as He uses you..."

    ReplyDelete