Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Transferral............................."

Beth and I drove over to the Mall area early Wednesday morning, some minor dental work required on my part, no need for numbing and so the two of us visited the Cracker Barrel afterwards for breakfast. Another couple from church was also there, whether coincidental or otherwise, he just released from the hospital due to some problems encountered with his biopsy. Taking aspirin several days prior to the event is a “no-no”. How much prior? A phone-call to Veterans quickly confirmed the error in my own reasoning, the nurse pleasant, but not too happy having to reschedule my Friday appointment with the doctor. Then, arriving home, we found the grandson mowing our lawn and, as we walked from the car to the house, she attempted to extract some dead foliage from this big ugly flower in the small bed just outside the garage. Normally that door would not have been open; but there it was, an invitation for me to follow my "stinkin’ thinkin’" to simply chop off the dead leafs there at the bottom of the plant. Who knew gardening could be such a dangerous occupation? One swift, vicious, downward swing of the hatchet brought immediate pain to my right index finger, a previously severed bamboo-like stalk having sliced the upper layer nearly to the bone from the knuckle back. It took nine stitches to close it, luckily no damage done to the tendon. Should I mention that Beth recently discovered her thyroid possibly threatening her health and, on a minor note, this three-month old computer is already out of whack, connected to the internet, but allowing me access only on a hit and miss basis…. In Bible study last night we examined and discussed witnessing for Christ in a world so opposed to the Gospel. While America, the past few years in particular, seems more and more aggressive in its opposition to our faith, and while drastic doctrinal differences held within our faith often create friction, yet it all boils down, at least for me, to maintaining what Paul referred to as the “mystery” of what we claim to be truth: Christ “in” me. Projecting the reality of that declaration isn’t just a matter of imposing our interpretation of Scripture upon others, nor is it all wrapped up in accomplishing a bunch of good works. Being a vessel for the Holy Ghost literally translates to allowing Him to come forth out of that inner well, manifested in what we say, what we do, and who we are. It is a life “merger” wherein we learn the “mechanics” as we go, some days with more success than others, each day a lesson all its own…...

3 comments:

  1. On my way to work today, I was wondering how your medical stuff was going. Thanks for the update but yikes, stay away from the business end of the hatchet!
    Sorry to hear that Beth's thyroid is giving her grief. I know a few people take medication for thyroid issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your way to work? What happened to summer vacation? Other than a huge scar that no doubt will be there afterwards and dealing with the inconvenience of the present state of the finger (like trying to type right now), all I'm looking at is my summer vacation being topsy-turvy in so far as being able to plan anything until I get another date from Veterans. Beth and I are just old and getting older, dealing with this stage of life as it comes to us....

      Delete
  2. We've got another 2 weeks before summer vacation starts and all the madness ends.

    Hope they hurry up with your date!

    Yes, I hear you about the age thing. There are days when I definitely feel too old for the work I'm doing. Oh well, let's keep eating our fruits and veggies and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete