Saturday, February 21, 2015

"Busy, busy...................."

In my little corner of the world winter has finally conquered us, at least until my son-in-law is able to reach us with his tractor plow. Four to six inches of snow isn’t all that much, but the county, while willing to take our taxes, doesn’t extend help to this neighborhood; and, with a possible additional layer before the day is over, life beyond this house is out of reach for the moment. Henri Nouwen wrote that “When we have no project to finish, no friend to visit, no book to read, no television to watch, or no record to play, we are brought so close to seeing the revelation of our basic human aloneness and are made so afraid of experiencing an all-pervasive sense of loneliness that we will do anything to get busy again with the game that makes us believe everything is fine after all.” I don’t know that “loneliness” is what this old man seeks to escape, but I do admit to a continual craving to be occupied with “something”. This spirit wasn’t meant idle in some state of hibernation. Dreams, it seems to me, ought to tell us that, during slumber, something inside us is rebelling against suspended animation. An Adyashanti quote over at “Whiskey River” states that “Nobody told us that what we are is a point of awareness, or pure spirit. We’re taught rather to identify with our name, our birth date, the next thought that we have, and with all the memories our mind collects about the past.” I don’t tend to chase gurus and San Francisco Buddhists whose theology points to our “inner self” somehow being able to conquer its own problems, but do believe there is a nugget of truth within such thinking. In Ecclesiastes, Solomon declares that, within all of us, God has placed “eternity”. King James says “the world”; and the Greek roots of the word suggests its best definition is “time beyond our comprehension” or as the verse, itself, continues, “so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.” We may well envision ourselves with a slice of existence, a past already determined and a future yet to be discovered, but all we really possess is this moment, this breath of air taken into our lungs, a reality around us to be filtered through our brain, and a chance to know Him in the mystery of it all. Rest is required. Physically, we cannot make it otherwise. The river, however, ceases not its flow; and life, real “life” is anchored in Him, not something else encountered along the way. He holds my hopes, my curiosity, my devotion, my next position be it in summer’s heat or February’s freeze……

5 comments:

  1. Wow, didn't know you guys would even get any kind of accumulation of that white stuff at all. Hope yall are "freed" soon.

    Interesting read. Nouwen's right. I think that contributes to why things such as Facebook are such a hit. Also, the loneliness is probably more felt when we haven't got a choice about whether we can tune it out or get just busy. It can get pretty scary when our physical ability is taken from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just shoveled my walk and am awaiting that tractor; but reports indicate that roads elsewhere are not all that safe at the moment. As far as staying "busy", losing physical ability may slow us down, but our mentality, it seems to me, is programmed to be a perpetual operation. More than my brain, the spirit is eternal; and, as such, is still ticking even when restricted in any manner. We may need a couple of aspirins now and then to deal with strain on our brain, but life doesn't cease just because the body needs its sleep.

      Delete
    2. Then, it's good to stay home; no point dealing with slippery roads.

      I guess it really hit me when I had the eye problem last spring that I might not always be able to fall back on all my distractions like reading, painting, driving, even playing piano could be a challenge if I couldn't see. Made me wonder what I would do if....

      Delete
  2. I hope you're doing well with the winter storm, or at least, better. We have tomorrow off because of expected icy rain. I have a few things I plan to do, and then I hope to also have some quiet time. But first, I'll sleep late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well here, Annie. Escaped a frozen water pipe the other night, catching it in time to "heal" it with a hair dryer and some insulation between it and the block wall. Sleep late, my friend, and take that "quiet time" with you as you go, peace in the midst of the storm.

      Delete