Monday, March 25, 2013

"Tangibility..........."

”For if, while we were yet enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life”…Romans 5:10

My pastor preached a good sermon this morning, but, even so, left me with little more than a fresh glimpse of the familiar Easter narrative. My failure to get on board, though, just might be explained by Annie Dillard having already captured my thoughts earlier. She deals with the subject of “light” in “Pilgrim at Tinker Creek” and, while discussing how the sun’s rays can sometimes open up the world around us, giving brief revelation of the spectacular, she also declares that seeing her shadow but gives evidence of there being nothing between her and the source of such luminosity. If the latter is enough to stir up this old man’s passion, the idea of a “veil being rent”, whereby we, if but for a moment, can spiritually connect with Him, makes me want to rejoice. Such possibility of encounter is what drives me, whether it comes in such form as an all-encompassing submersion into His presence, an expansion in my understanding of faith, or a Fatherly Holy Ghost kick in the rear to adjust my stubbornness. Annie speaks of it in terms of nature suddenly giving her vision to see what was right in front of her in the first place. I find it better phrased as the reality of God manifesting Himself in my life! It isn’t a normal everyday occurrence; but neither is it beyond hope of happening anywhere along the way. After all, we aren’t following One who resurrected from the grave and then left us to our own devises. He conquered death that we might know life in Him; and the writer of Hebrews puts it like this: “How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?”……

2 comments:

  1. I love these images; both yours and Annie's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am re-reading Annie's "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" for about the third or fourth time. I love her writing; but she seems to have retired....

      Delete