Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Antiquity..................."

Turning seventy-two in about three weeks hasn’t slowed me down much in so far as “being a participator”, involving myself in activities other than vegetating in front of the television. It is true that a nerve problem, lately, has affected the ease with which I get in and out of a car, giving me the appearance of Walter Brennan for a few moments after an exit. Otherwise I’m still active, completing a Five-K walk against breast cancer with two of my daughters this past weekend. This is my twelfth year working in an Elementary Special-Ed unit, but admit to seriously thinking about retirement, at least from this sort of physical exercise. Our visits to the Youth Detention Center and the rescue mission remain a passion. We go tonight to the latter. Most certainly, life is not without change, but surely each day is new and waiting to be met. It irritated me a bit, therefore, when, after “Bill Nye, the science guy” finished his portion on “Dancing with the Stars” Monday evening, the two male judges slaughtered him with obvious sneers on their face and words that embraced no grace at all for his having accepted the show’s invite in the first place. The roster always has included an elder celebrity of some sort along with a few others who realize, going in, that their chance of surviving a week or so in such competition is minimal. None expect no more than a kind word or two for their courage to step out on that floor. Thankfully, Carrie Ann, the female member of that panel, ended the moment with her deep-felt appreciation for his efforts, her remarks bringing life back into the old gentleman’s face, his eyes giving evidence of spiritual resurrection. Within me, however, is left a “growl”, a wish for revenge, a hope the two acid-tongued men might somehow reap what they sow. Not good. It merely makes me what they are and accomplishes nothing other than that. Better to chalk it up to “humanity as it exists” and work on my own membership in that community. Yep. Feeling better already……..

6 comments:

  1. I admire all the things you do, Jim. It is a shame when younger folks discount older folks. I can understand your desire for some sort of revenge. Perhaps if the two young men live long enough, they will experience some sort of "payback" in their old age! I'm just kidding. You're right, my fantasy is not good either!

    I got called a "Maw-maw" a couple of nights ago in exercise class. I don't think the young instructor meant to be disrespectful but I sure didn't care for her label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "two young men", Annie, were not all that far from my age, just showing complete lack of respect for the fellow in front of them. Valerie Harper was also on the show, elder and dancing in spite of her battle with cancer. Though her efforts were less than others, she got praise from all, and should have. The scores, themselves, reflect the performance. We just live, in my opinion, in a day where people in general seem to think being rude is okay. Then we question where our kids pick up "bullying"...

      Delete
  2. Doing a Walter Brennan myself these days with a sprained ankle. (you made me laugh with that description, Jim) Retirement rolls easily off the tongue lately 'cause I'm actually kinda feeling like a Maw-maw hobbling around on crutches. (young'uns these days, heh annie?)

    Yeah, sometimes that nasty judge stuff gets on the nerves. True about the bad modelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful, Mich. I pondered whether anyone who comes around here was old enough to remember Walter Brennan....

      Delete
  3. Not confessing to anything. There are such things as re-runs you know. ;-) Okay, I'll confess.

    When I was a kid, we had a black & white TV that was often outa commish because of burnt tubes! Yeah, that's right, I said burnt tubes. I can actually remember that, at one point, I forgot what TV was like until my younger sister and I went with my dad to test the tubes at the corner drug store. Then we came home and he disappeared into the back of the set. Now it was a matter of waiting to see if the little white light at the center of the screen would turn into something or if the picture would stop rolling long enough for us to make out what it actually was.

    I was at a cartoon stage of life so it was fun until he turned on Gunsmoke. Or worse, wrestling! Or worse still, Lawrence Welk. No wonder we played outside more....

    Surely this must sound familiar to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all sounds familiar to me. I was around twelve when my uncle invited me to their house to watch the Lone Ranger in b&w on a 12" set. Until then, life had been Big John and Sparky on Saturday mornings, a few other radio shows throughout the week. We were inner city and Mom wouldn't much let us out of the yard for a long time, then gradually dodge ball games and kick the can out front. I can still remember Dad bringing blocks of ice up the steps to our 2nd floor apartment with tongs to keep the icebox cold. Television was a step into Howdy Doody, Father Knows Best, The Nelsons, and just one commercial every half hour....

      Delete