Friday, September 27, 2013

"Witchhunts...................."

The homosexuality issue that came forth in Wednesday evening’s Bible study was birthed out of a woman having read an article in Time magazine concerning a recent interview with the Pope. As it was, the young Catholic fellow who supervises our Special-Ed unit had just encouraged me earlier that day to examine the same interview, but he was persistent in his request for me to do so via America magazine rather than the other. The news media any more, of course, is biased and much like buying a book. Whatever the subject, it’s not hard to find one that feeds you the “facts” flavored to pamper your own personal perspective. After digesting both sources, however, like my buddy, I prefer the latter, it simply giving you the dialogue in its original state, injecting no political comments and leaving me to draw my own conclusions. My friend at church determined it “signs of the end”, the Vatican turning liberal and vacating what few things she might have held in common with them. What I heard was a man pursuing the mind and heart of God, bold enough to stand in faith, admitting his unworthiness and willing to trust Him for what was beyond his inability to know. If he pronounced no judgment on the matter, it is just as true that he gave it no pardon, merely proclaiming believers might be better off searching for the voice of God in their own life than standing on some corner with a bullhorn shouting hellfire and brimstone on all those who don’t line up with their group’s view of the Book. No; I haven’t abandoned my Pentecostal roots. I’m not lighting candles. I’m not singing in their choir. Do they have choirs? It just seems to me that what we’ve got here could well be the Holy Ghost, the Spirit speaking to all of us; and it might profit us to at least take it to prayer before we pronounce “anathema”……

3 comments:

  1. Wow, good for him for saying this! Something about straws in eyes comes to mind....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The America interview is well worth the read, Mich. The other, too, if you want perspective from both sides...

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm intrigued. Will try to hunt them all down, thanks.

    ReplyDelete