Thursday, September 12, 2013

""The Real Deal....."

“Why don’t people leave off being lovable, or thinking that they are loveable, or wanting to be loveable, and be a bit elemental instead? Since man is made up of the elements, fire, and rain, and air, and live foam, and none of these is loveable, but elemental, man is lop-sided on the side of the angels… I wish men would get back their balance among the elements and be a bit more fiery, as incapable of telling lies as fire is. I wish they’d be true to their own variation, as water is, which goes through all the stages of steam and stream and ice without losing its head… I am sick of loveable people; somehow they are a lie.”….D.H. Lawrence, “Elemental”

The above sentiments were found, in some sort of poetic format, over at “Whiskey River” (link on my sidebar), the author unfamiliar to me before a Google search revealed him British, not all that well received by his own countrymen initially, his collected works, as evidenced here, often reflecting on humanity’s flaws. This particular quote, however, speaks to me, the idea that we all tend to “reinvent ourselves”, at least to some degree, not so far-fetched, in my opinion. Whether being “loveable” is really the focus of his objection here, though, is debatable, it seeming to me a matter of his simply looking for honesty in others; and, in truth, there is a point there where even that can be annoying. Personally, I find life more interesting, challenging, and filled with all the unknown when the other guy remains an unsolved mystery, the variation adding a bit of spice to things. If what comes forth is “genuine”, not some sloppy attempt to be what we are not, surely God can work on the rest as we go, the real solution to the whole mess being a decision for each of us to put ourselves into His hands. Just my opinion, for what it’s worth; and that brings me to the other quote discovered, this one giving me a laugh, seeing myself reasoning likewise:

”We don’t think in words. The temptation to equate thinking with language is because words are more palpable than thoughts. After all (I’m thinking), if I couldn’t talk to myself, how would I know what I was thinking?”….Edward de Bono

2 comments:

  1. loveable in modern terms = popular

    I can see what he's getting at. Just poke around Facebook, for instance, the vast majority screaming: "Love me. Look at me. Agree with me. Like me." Ugh

    I'd have to take the last quote one step further and say: "If I didn't write it down, how would I remember what I was thinking that I was saying to myself?"

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of us would be shocked if we were somehow made aware of how others perceive us. At the same time, however, in this day and age few there be who seem to care at all how others see them. AS far as the last quote, Mich, I'm about to post where my thoughts went with that one....

      Delete