Thursday, February 16, 2012

"H2O..............................................."

”I don’t want no wha-hoo-zits in my water; I don’t want no hee-bubba-jeebies in my well; when I get thirsty for a drink, I want water that doesn’t stink; So keep your hee-bubba-geeba-goobers out of my well!”


The last couple of days my thoughts have been occupied with what was on my heart for the men at the rescue mission, things already expressed here in one way or another. Putting words down on paper, one has time to examine what comes forth, to structure sentences so as to best transfer an understanding of what is intended to be said. Such privilege is not available to me when I find myself standing before others face to face. With the men, at least, they provide me with a stand for my notes, but sometimes I think it more of a hindrance than a help. Here, I have days, if need be, to attempt to find His flow; there, the torch is passed and, if the stream is not already there to step into, then I must walk by faith, living water not in something scribbled down to remind me of direction, but coming up out of an inner well not filled up with rocks…. It happens. Years ago, to illustrate that last scenario at Kids’ Camp, I stepped through one of my wife’s plastic laundry tubs, its bottom pre-removed to allow such intrusion. Pulling it up to my waist and then holding it there with one hand and an umbrella over my head in the other, I talked to my “congregation” about having to daily purge ourselves of much that life brings unto us; and to greater punctuate my point, I also had several people, in passing by, dump their trash into my attire. One woman changed her baby’s diaper and then, with no concern for me, dropped it in as she passed. Another nearby fell into a few drastic sneezes and, afterwards, likewise donated her contaminated tissue to the cause. The chorus above, plus two verses on the subject, became a hit for some time, one of many tunes I penned for Children’s Church. Decades down the road, I still believe it to be so. It’s just part of breathing. Even so, however, the way to the river. Speak unto the rock,” God told Moses. You don’t get there by force, but by relaxing and falling into it……

No comments:

Post a Comment