Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Breathing............................."

It was pretty much a packed house at the rescue mission Wednesday evening, a few empty seats up front, but a crowd compared to the last few times we’ve shared. No sermon, per se, just the three of us talking with them about the Gospel as it has come to us in the journey, “life” as we have found it to be since experiencing an injection of Christ. Life… The last two days have but continued to bring to me a renewed sense of my job at school being “fun”; and yet, if the rumors prove to be true, next tear our individual Special-Ed unit will be eliminated, those few children left to us after graduation, plus a single incoming student, will simply be separated and sorted into other existing rooms, giving some answer to necessary budget cuts. With this economy, one knew it was coming, sooner or later; but right now it appears that I’ll just follow “my” boys and be working with another teacher. I won’t know any detail, however, until we walk through the doors again in August. Doors… Normally, there isn’t any way a basketball game would keep me up past eleven, but with last night being Friday and this morning being all mine, I sat up to watch my Indiana Hoosiers give Kentucky a good game. They exhausted themselves in the final moments, however, and I “gave up the ghost” about a quarter after twelve, three minutes left to play, the evidence telling me it was over. Falling asleep was no problem. Nonetheless, feeling “the call of nature” a few hours later, I arose and stumbled through the darkness, walking headfirst into the edge of the open door. It was one of those “What’s that? Ker-whop!” kind of encounters most of us have had at one time or another, me remarking on my own stupidity before sliding beneath the covers once again. About seven this morning, now in the recliner and brushing my eyebrow for some reason, I discovered a crusty area over my left eye, checked it out in the mirror, and realized I now possessed about a quarter inch vertical cut in that area… It seems to me that faith is not so much about moving mountains as it is about knowing Him in the middle of all that we do, all that we are. Spirituality isn’t defined by how well we pray, how much we go to church, or even by our ability to quote Scripture. It’s a relationship wherein two are one even when they aren’t, secured by a bond of surrender on our part, knowing His grace meets all our needs. So I believe. So I tried to witness to those men worshipping with us down at the mission……

No comments:

Post a Comment