Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Contact.........................".

I left home in a fog this morning. Actually, it was the world around me that was wrapped up in a grey mist; and, to be even more truthful, once the main highway was reached, the creek and all the foliage on either side of our back road left behind me, suddenly it was a clear day. The sun was shining brightly all the way to school. My mind, however, was remembering “Brigadoon”, an old musical wherein two hunters on a hillside in the mountains of Scotland find themselves surprised by a thick, mysterious fog that arises out of nowhere. Stumbling along through the dense woods, they come upon a small village that turns out to be under a spell, one wherein the people who live there, along with everything else in a small area around them, exist for only one week, indeed, for only one week every one hundred years! Driving through rush-hour traffic, I’m thinking to myself, “If they’re isolated from all of society, how would they even know the difference? You go to sleep and when you get up the next day, it may be a century later on somebody else’s calendar; but, for you, it is no more than tomorrow.” Down the expressway. Take the off-ramp. “For that matter, do any of us really know for sure that what we call reality holds any significance other than what we assign it? A flat universe that holds innumerable galaxies originating from some historic point in the pass when nothing exploded into something that is still being flung somewhere while we arise and go about our business like what has been will always be, pour me a cup of coffee and let’s get to work.” Maybe I’m just a weird duck, a fellow who asks too many questions. The Gospel simply makes sense to me and there is gratitude in my heart for the message it brings; but forty years in this long ago convinced me of humanity being the fly in the ointment, no man, no denomination, not even myself, having it all figured out. In the middle of darkness, however, there is light. In the center of confusion, it’s possible to reach through the veil, touch peace, and rest in an assurance that only He gives……

2 comments:

  1. So glad for the light, even when there are questions like these that arise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took this one with me to Bible class last night, Annie, getting there just a few minutes late after taking Beth home from the layout...

    ReplyDelete