Saturday, August 18, 2012

"Simplicity....................."

During the last three days of settling into another year of working in an Elementary Special-Ed unit, on two different occasions a door was opened unto me for giving a witness to the Gospel of Christ. Neither time found me referring to chapter and verse nor demanding that my experience had to be duplicated in order to ensure salvation. Sometimes I think that the biggest hindrance to the message going forth is a Church that thinks itself as having personally solved the mystery, each individual offshoot with its own theology and an ego to announce their doctrinal demands. While the Bible is, indeed, an essential part of the foundation upon which we build, yet, by the very fact that humanity is involved in any digestion of its contents, its truths must be learned as we go, step after step in a stumble down the path, the Holy Ghost our teacher. Does exploring the Greek and Hebrew roots of individual words sometimes give better insight to the text? Maybe. Is it necessary for us to factor in cultural background and historical events? It couldn’t hurt. More importantly, perhaps, the Book is to be taken “from cover to cover”, not pulled apart so as to satisfy our own vanity, the real story the one being created in me as He walks with me through its pages. It is a life-long lesson wherein He remains the teacher and I am merely the vessel, a student in His class, at His feet and ever learning……

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Jim.
    Vaš stari prijatelj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joe. Pretty sure that not all would agree. I'll try to get an e-mail off to you today or tomorrow, old buddy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautifully said, Jim, and shows your great humility, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Annie. In truth, I often wonder if God doesn't see us much in the same way I see my students, not so much as being "Special-Ed", but as spirits and souls trying to deal with life as it has come to us. Each of us, in on way or another, is "handicapped" and in need of His guidance, His hand upon the reins...

    ReplyDelete