Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Rhythm..............."

During the reception dinner after the wedding, on that recent trip to South Carolina, my niece talked the fellow serving up the music to crank up "Johnny B. Goode". Then she asked this old man and his sister to step back fifty-five years or so, with no oxygen handy to keep us going and no medic to help us should we attempt any of the "moves" accomplished in our youth. If I had tried the "flip" or the "criss-cross through my legs before pulling her back through to drop into the beat again", this would have been posted on the evening news instead of Facebook. Not enough strength in my arms any more. Not enough wind for two hundred pounds to manage the hop over her as she passes beneath me. One up on Peggy, though. We used to come in together and rotate four or five spins, but a slip in her footing quickly notified me that it, too, was history. The beat goes on, The body just can' keep up. Still fire in the furnace, however; still that seventeen year-old boy on the inside crying out "Throw me the ball!", ready for a full court game of basketball; and all it takes for an old fool to risk it all is the sound of Chuck Berry's guitar.......

No comments:

Post a Comment