Friday, August 29, 2014

"Spot Check........."

On the treadmill once again and listening to Ravi Zacharias speak on whether it’s possible for a man to “walk closely with God”, I was struck by a quote, something an 18th century Scotchman once said concerning morality and politics. “Let me write a nation’s songs,” Andrew Fletcher did opine; “and I care not who writes its laws.” Such statement, quite obviously, was made long before Elvis swiveled his hips and led this country’s youth into rock and roll rebellion, eons before heavy metal and eventually rap entered the picture, however; and there’s probably more truth to the idea that our music flows out of that innermost part of who we are as it faces and reacts to all external forces facing us in the journey thus far. Give me, therefore, the reins that hold a man’s heart, that which feeds him and directs his path; and it will not be hard to predict, not just the sort of tune he hums, but also his path in other areas as well. What’s on the inside, no matter how hard we try to hide it, bleeds to the outside whether we’re sitting in Nashville or Washington, D.C., whether we frequent the corner bar or the parish pew. The question becomes, then, if grace is to be given in so far as this stumble down the road, what is it about any believer that gives witness of Christ “in” me? If, as Paul says in Ephesians, truth “holds up my pants”, me dealing with me as well as my image in front of others, what is it that maintains my integrity? Some seem to think it their works. Others would declare it their faith. I would point to that which inhabits the vessel. Resurrection needs only my willingness for the stone to be rolled away, His glory reflected in my humility, His power manifested via my surrender unto His reality. He confirms Himself…….

No comments:

Post a Comment