Saturday, July 21, 2012

"Hooked............................."

Somewhere yesterday, in the middle of all that continual coverage of the Aurora movie massacre, I settled into my recliner and watched an old Gary Sinise film entitled “Mission to Mars”. Long before my coming to Christ, such science fiction was a passion for me, the ending to this particular plot not giving me any reason to question its suggestion that intelligent life, in escaping the red planets eons ago, actually seeded their DNA here. Never mind that such theory solves nothing since it only leaves us pondering the genesis of those whom we hold responsible for our beginning. Some might argue, of course, that Christianity is no different. If God, as we believe Him to be, is a reality, then who created Him? What was before Him? Will He at some point cease to be? Eternal? In either direction? How can that be? To ignore such enigma seems silly to me, although my own personal response to all who would demand one of me might not be received. In “my book”, it comes down to “faith”; but not just a mental block of cement constructed out of my grit plus chapter and verse. While belief is important, what’s even more valuable as a foundation is evidence! If Christ indeed resurrected and, somehow, in conquering death, hell, and the grave, reconnected me to the Father via a Third Person of the Trinity, then somewhere in this there has to be at least an occasional encounter that verifies the fact, a place where three becomes four and all doubt is removed. I’ve known a few mileposts like that, events to hang my journey on, anchor assurance for my soul. To each their own experience. To every man his own measure. The deepest universe, however, is the one in our belly and it is through that one I seek to explore……

No comments:

Post a Comment