Thursday, July 26, 2012

"In a Nut Shell..............................."

With Beth spending last night with the sister-in-law battling blindness, I utilized the benefits of cable television, recording a couple of shows that we usually watch together and viewing instead an episode of “Nova” that I had earlier snagged via that same procedure. Where this old man has been the last few decades as to be so ignorant of such scientific discoveries is beyond me. In truth, some minute pieces of the program sounded familiar to me in terms of my maybe having heard a bit of it in one of those Fifth Grade classes I occupied awhile back while working with the kids in Special-Ed. It seems, though, that “String Theory” was first birthed in 1968, ridiculed by some but not by all, rejuvenated in ’73 through the continued efforts of a few faithful, and given a seat at the table in ’84 when three of the known forces in our universe were finally mathematically proven to be equal to the fourth force. The only problem is: while gravity, the glue that holds everything we see together, is observable, the wiggly microscopic strands within the centers of that trio on the other side of the formula are yet impossible to be captured by any magnification we presently possess and that leaves us with nothing but successfully solved algebraic deductions. As one fellow put it: “Are we talking here of theoretical physics, or just a philosophy?” He, interestingly enough, was an astronomer, one of those pursuing answers to both our genesis and our destiny, just not ready to accept that which could not yet be proven more substantially. What Christianity at large might opine about it I can only imagine, knowing some who, sitting in their individual towers fashioned out of chapter and verse, appear almost frightened that it all might crumble if they give any space at all to the idea that their theology was less than perfect. If God is more than whatever image of Him we hold, however, and He, alone, is the foundation of what I believe, then at the core of whatever discovery they stumble upon, He remains center stage, the origin and power of the whole

2 comments:

  1. Tony said
    I am afraid of any theology that can be so easily wrecked by a new scientific "discovery". The bottom line is that God is much more than I can comprehend. And the more I learn, the more I find I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. String theory, even if not posible at present to completely prove, sounds pretty believeable to me, especially because, within it, I can "see" God. Either way, though, God remains. He is both my starting point and my finality. Delving into such things, for me, Tony, is like reading Annie Dillard or some Catholic priest. In examining another perspective, it is not required to abandon my own....

      Delete