Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"Enigma......................"

Driving to school this morning, I passed an elderly woman who sported a bumper sticker on her car that read “What would Ernest Tubb do?” She really didn’t appear to be all that much older than me, but that name takes me back to pre-television days, riding around in my father’s automobile and listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio. I remember commercials for Hadacol, a 12% alcohol based vitamin supplement, Carter’s Liver Pills, somebody trying to sell people baby chicks , and an announcer who was always telling you to “keep those cards and letters coming in”. Ernie, thought, was known as “the Texas Troubadour” and, other than making a name for himself in Country and Western music, once tried to shoot his Nashville producer, but missed and hit the wrong man. That being the gist of it, it leaves me wondering just what this lady had in mind with her rear-end inquiry. Had she written some song and wondering how to break into the big-time? Hopefully it had nothing to do with a disappointment in this country’s present sad state of affairs and a .357 magnum kept in her glove compartment. You never know nowadays. I do admit to, although smiling about the event, putting my foot down a little heavier on the gas pedal and putting some distance between me and grandma……

No comments:

Post a Comment