Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Climate Changes......................."

Labor Day weekend, here in northern Kentucky, began with temperatures in the upper nineties, oppressive heat that kept most people indoors. Monday morning it was as if someone had thrown a switch, gray overcast clouds covering the skies, threatening rain but never producing any, wind never more than a chilly breeze down one’s neck, constantly removing the tin foil covering those various dishes of food brought to our gathering on my friend’s back porch. Normally we would all have been playing corn-hole, tossing horseshoes, and scattered across the back yard seeking shade from the sun. With a sudden thirty degree drop of the thermometer sending some into the house, the rest of us sat huddling in hoodies and sweatshirts, me doing my best to find warmth in a hot cup of coffee. Jokingly I pondered if Earth’s orbit hadn’t somehow been altered, no more eccentric, but rectangular in shape, our planet merely having turned a corner out there, seasons no longer revolving door, but the flip of a page, next chapter in progress…. If Sunday morning’s sermon had me on the edge of my seat, the pastor connecting with me in the journey as I have found it to be in Christ, preaching on a faith that abides within, one not needing to be manufactured on the spur of the moment in the middle of a storm, the message he delivered that evening left me disappointed. It was centered on Daniel’s interpretation of “Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin” given unto Belteshazzar and spoke of a “transformation of health and wealth” coming to those who could read “the writing on the wall”. I would leave a little over half-way through it. Amazing to me how, out of the same Book, we all build our individual theologies, shaping its content into our own version of truth. Amusing to me how, within the same sanctuary, the environment weathers over a period of time and sometimes, even on the same day, out of the same vessel what blows through can drastically differ in what it brings to this old man……

No comments:

Post a Comment